Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The funny thing about being pregnant....

Once you become pregnant it seems to become open season for everyone, especially people you don't know, to tell you how you will feel, what you will experience, and everything in between.  Some of it is good and some of it can make you a little uncomfortable (especially when it comes from strangers) I know all you other moms out there can relate to this.  But oddly enough it seems to be something that we all forget as we are giving the "advice" away like it is free gold.  I have been told that I was "too big" and then a month later I was "too small" and constantly I hear "just you wait...it'll happen."  That one usually comes after something about how I will feel or should expect because it happened to them.  I am pretty good at just ignoring people's "advice" because in reality everyone's pregnancy is different.  Everyone's labor is different.   I found that most things people said would happen to me didn't.  I am so blessed to have a had an enjoyable pregnancy where all the good things outweigh the bad.

Now I don't want people thinking that I am the kind of person that thinks I don't need any help or that I think I know everything about being pregnant; because I certainly do not!  I actually love getting advice!  I just don't like getting it from people who don't know me or when I didn't ask for it.  If I have a question I ask.  But mainly I have never liked when people tell me how I should feel about something.  I have always been that way.  I have never liked when a person has told me what my feelings should be.  But at the same time I know that everyone loves babies and just wants to share in this exciting time.  Sometimes I think I have even been used at a "surrogate" for other grandparents who can't be close to their own kids who are expecting as well.  Honestly I am ok with that aspect of it because I love to talk about being pregnant and the excitement of having my son.  So I try not to let my pregnancy hormones get the best of me and get unnecessarily frustrated.  Sometimes I am successful.

Now that I don't work and am not in a public setting 5 days a week it doesn't happen much anymore.  Every once in a while a cashier will inform me of some sort of pregnancy/labor advice they think I can't live without.

So now that I am 2 days past my due date people are getting anxious.  Everyday people want to be updated about how things are coming along.  I find this to be pretty hard because even though I know everyone is just excited to meet my son I don't think people realize that I am excited to meet him as well. (actually I can pretty much guarantee that Shad and I are most excited!)  So it is hard for me to answer everyday multiple times that nothing has changed and there are no signs of him making his debut anytime soon.  

Hopefully soon though Charlie will decide the time is right and he is ready to come meet his family!  Then we can move onto strangers giving me their parenting advice. :)

As a friend once said to another friend of mine.  "Don't worry he is just waiting for his birthday!"  ( I just wish I knew when it was!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi my name is Elizabeth I was in choir with Shad at eastern. I can totally relate to you on this! I had my daughter 6 months ago and just like you I had what I like to call the "crazies" telling me how I should feel and what I should be doing. I couldn't stand it! The worst was "when are you being induced?" my answer, "hopefully not. Molly was 11 days overdue. I won't tell you my birth experience because it is somewhat traumatic and my situation was extremely rare. Everyone IS different and you'll do great! Now for my bit of advice lol actually the best advice I ever got: it's your body and you and your husbands experience so don't let anyone try and convince you to do something you don't want to do in your very vulnerable time. I don't know you but I'm am very excited for you and I wish you the best! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete