Saturday, February 25, 2012

10 weeks


My sweet little Charlie is 10 weeks old today and today is the first day that I have felt in 10 weeks that I can do something that isn't holding my baby or cleaning my house.   It is nice to finally be able to write in my blog again.  I am finally starting to feel like I am getting back to my old self after having a baby. I guess I shouldn't say "my old self" since I will never be the same now that I am a mom.  Everything I do now revolves around Charlie.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't mind and I LOVE being a mom.  It is just nice to have a few minutes to do something that I want to do and not something that needs to be done while the baby sleeps.
It has been so long since I have written in my blog that I don't really know what to say.  I guess I will start by saying that being a mom is hard.  When I was pregnant I imagined holding my sleeping baby and being able to soothe all his cries.  That image was shattered when I brought Charlie home and he wouldn't eat and was screaming because he was so hungry.  There were nights that he would just cry and cry.   I didn't know what to do and felt very helpless.  Since those early weeks of having him home Charlie and I have gotten the hang of breastfeeding.  He has also learned the night time is for sleeping and daytime is for playing.  Being a mom has gotten easier but it seems everyday brings new challenges.  No one tells you that it is going to be hard.  It would have been nice to know that it is not all daisies and roses.  That way I could have been mentally prepared.  Luckily for me I have a wonderful husband that was there to help me through those tough times even if it just ment he was there to put his arm around my while Charlie and I were just crying.  I don't know how people can do it alone because I was so grateful to have that support. 
Even though being a mom is harder than I expected it to be I wouldn't change one minute about it.  I love waking up each morning to a smiley baby, holding him as he snuggles up on me for a nap, and being able  watch him discover new things everyday.
It is amazing how life changes when you become a parent.  But it is a good change.  It makes my life more meaningful.  It is amazing how much love I have had for my son from the moment they put him on my chest.  I loved him when he was in my tummy but I didn't realize how much I loved him till I was holding him in my arms for the first time.

Alright so enough of all the mushy stuff....since I have had Charlie I have been thinking of all the funny things that come along with being a parent so I thought I would share some of them.

You know have kids when:

  • you find crumbs on your newborn because you only eat while holding them.
  • get excited when your baby finally poops after being constipated.
  • you have to choose between eating and taking a shower.
  • you bounce or sway...even if you aren't holding the baby.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet little guy. He will continue to delight, amaze and confound you:-). You are adjusting well to motherhood. I hope you and both your guys have a wonderful week. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete